Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Restorative Practices in the Second Grade Classroom

     Second grade is a very exciting time for both the teacher and students. Students are coming into their own as they explore all the wonderful new lessons. However, with each new year comes new conflict among the students in the school and classroom.


Edutopia. (2018, Feb 5). Weekly Circles: Building Community to Foster Academic Achievement


     Our school currently has a school-wide positive behavior support plan to help students follow the behavior norms, however, this doesn't work for all students. Some students need extra attention, flexibility and restorative practices. Restorative practices are new to our school, in fact, the whole school has not been trained in this practice. Some teachers research this on their own and implement it in their own classrooms. This year I would like to implement weekly circle time.

Has anyone implemented restorative practice circle time in their classroom? If not have you heard of this strategy? What are your thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of having students create a classroom blog. This is something I think I will do as well! Thanks for the great idea! Sharing it on Dojo is great. Then parents/families can click to read and we don't have to rely on them to search it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a comment from me. I apologize, I did not know I was not logged in. Thanks! Tanneil

      Delete
    2. I'm going to try one more time. It looks like I'm replying at tanneilkuchynka but it's not adding it.

      Delete
  2. Carrie, I'm always curious about this concept, as it reminds me of the kinds of things that we see in Canada when we look at indigenous justice systems. As someone who appears to have used it, do you see any overlap yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after looking up "idigenous' justice systems, I do agree that restorative practices is somewhat similar in that they both look for a proactive, peaceful process as opposed to only punishment.

      Delete
  3. I saw the video and liked the part where the teacher said something positive to the student. I think that's good because I feel that kids need to hear positive words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, schools are trying to implement a school wide positive behavior support plan where the teachers and staff and trying to focus and reward the positive behaviors instead of focusing on the negative behaviors. It is the hope that those students seeking attention will seek it through positive behaviors.

      Delete
  4. Carrie: Great video! Over the years the demographics of my classroom has changed dramatically, and I have noticed most of the students gather in groups they feel comfortable in or spend most of their time isolated on their phones. A "circle" for college students might be a great way to get them to learn more about each other and maybe understand some of the challenges everyone is facing today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely and I thing the earlier we start this with the students the better equipped they will be to accepting others. Also possibly more comfortable joining different learning groups.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging Plan

This course has opened my eyes to how I can use blogging in the classroom. I was planning on blogging with my second graders this year ...